Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Say What? Chef Gordon Ramsay says he doesn't enjoy cursing


Gordon Ramsay, knows it’s not fun being on the receiving end of one of his outbursts.
But he swears he isn't trying to be to be mean, just to be mean.
"I don’t enjoy cursing at all," Ramsay says, believe it or not. "But sometimes I have to to get the message across."

They deserve it because, he believes, a vile meal, at best, ruins a dining experience and, at worst, could put someone in the hospital.

Ramsay, discussing the show, food and cooking in general, says the contestants on Hells Kitchen this year seem to be more confrontational than ever. Now they are cursing at Gordon Ramsay, what's that about?

"I suppose they’ve watched the show before and they think they want to come in with bravado. But I always say, at least initially, let me do the talking, and you’d be surprised how far you go in a short period of time. Sometimes, it’s like dealing with actual teenagers. It’s frustrating."


"I always say if you let your food do the talking, you'd be surprised how far you go in a short period of time... I encourage that level of confidence. That's great. But when you've got the arrogance, the confidence and you can't cook, then you look stupid."


Has anyone ever screamed at Gordon Ramsay?
"While working with the French chef Joël Robuchon in Paris, we had a duck, cooked in the oven, in a big 30-kilo copper pan. One of the chefs was shouting and screaming at me because I hadn’t browned the bird properly. I said I’ll do another one for him. Anyway, for some bizarre reason, they put the whole thing in the oven with no duck in there and it got sent to the dining room. I heard this big 'crash/bang’ when the chef came through and he went for me big time!"