Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Woman Sentenced To 5 Years In McDonald’s Transgender Attack

Do you remember the post we ran about the attack on the transgender woman at McDonald's?
Teonna Brown, 19 (above photo left) was sentenced to 10 years in prison with five years suspended for her role in the beating of a transgender woman Chrissy Polis (above photo right) inside a Rosedale McDonald’s earlier this year.

Teonna pleaded guilty after she was caught on tape viciously attacking 22-year-old Chrissy Polis.

All but five years was suspended. Brown will serve three years probation when she is released.

In court, Brown issued an apology to the victim.

Brown pleaded guilty last month to first-degree assault and a hate crime. She faced a maximum sentence of 35 years in prison.

The beating recorded on a cell phone last April shows repeated attacks on Polis by Brown and her 14-year old friend.
We showed that video as others did, and it quickly was everywhere.

Polis (the victim) had little to say at the trial.
“I was kind of nervous being here today,” Polis said then. “I really did not want to come. So like I said, I have no comment. I just want to lay low and keep my life as normal as much as possible.”

The assault was captured on the cell phone camera of a McDonald’s employee and Polis said the incident started as she was trying to use the restroom.

“I went to go use the bathroom. Come back out, the girl spit in my face, said, `Are you trying to talk to my man?’ I said, `No, I didn’t even know that was your man at all.’ The other girl came up, spit in my face, then they started ripping my hair, throwing me on the floor."
“They just seemed like they wanted to pick a fight that night, they really did. And come to find out that girl was only 14 years old. I was shocked,” she added. “They kicked me in my face; they really hurt me really bad and I’m just afraid to go outside now because of stuff like this.”

Only one McDonald’s employee can be seen trying to help in the assault. Several others can be heard laughing. McDonald’s eventually fired the employee who filmed the attack.

Another girl acknowledged her role in the same attack back in July. She was committed to a juvenile detention facility.