Friday, October 2, 2009

Number One Smokers? It's the Food Industry


Those of us in the Voodoo Kitchen have collectively been in the restaurant, mostly kitchen business for a long time.  We weren't surprised to learn about the study that came out saying that people in food preparation and service jobs are more likely to smoke cigarettes than those in any other profession.
According to Nation's Restaurant News, Health Services Administration point the finger at the food industry 
as number one in cigarette smoking. The lowest: education, training and library workers.

Chef Gordon Ramsay made some observations about smokers in the food business not to long ago:

" You know what? My father died at the age of 53, about 10 years ago, to smoking.  And my grandfather died at 49.  I've never smoked a cigarette in my entire life.  So I find it really hard, and it's a bitter pill for me to swallow, to sit and watch these guys smoke their lives away earlier than anticipated.  I can't understand how you can taste food, reflect it, smoke, go back and taste it.  There has to be an inaccuracy beyond belief.
"I'm not their dad. I'm not there to mother them.  But more importantly, I wish to hell they could understand the damage in terms their palate. A refined palate is a trained palate.  Smoking at the same time - it's hard. Smoking is the one thing that I find it hard to tolerate. And it frustrates me.
"Secondly, you know, when you train a palate, it's like being an athlete. Every part of your body is toned.  When you bring dishes and an ingredient together and it's missing something, it's complicated. It's your palate that gets you there in the end.  So if I could ban smoking for every chef in the world as a mission, I'd start tonight."
When asked about all the Hells' Kitchen contestants who seem to be smoking what seems like an endless number of cigarettes.
Chef Gordon Ramsay thinks it's appalling. While he understands that the scenes are shown in the interest of  the reality show, he personally condemns the fact that the contestants smoke at all, which he says numbs their palates
He said: "The biggest issue with chefs today is smoking. The first thing I teach a chef is how to taste. If you don't understand how it tastes, you shouldn't be cooking it." Ramsay says that's why he blindfolds the aspiring chef every season on Hell's Kitchen to test their taste buds in a blind taste test.


Here's the complete list: