Wednesday, October 28, 2009

No Reservations, an Evening with Anthony Bourdain - Chicago - Nov 6



Anthony Bourdain will be in Waukegan on Nov. 6th at  the Genesee Theater.
It's an evening with no cooking demonstration, no samples to taste, it's just Bourdain, a microphone and the audience.
"I never really know what the show is going to be like, I just wing it," said Bourdain,  "A lot of it counts on who's in the audience; how drunk, how rowdy, how crazy the crowd is. Is it line cooks on a day off of work, or a more refined crowd?"
He will offer an hour of monologue, or diatribe, talking about  his world travels, his kitchen trials, his books  and his views on the organic food movement.  After that, he'll take questions.

Here are some thoughts by Anothony Bourdain preceding his visit to Chicago:

Q. Halloween's coming up. Any fond memories?
A. For me Halloween was memorable mostly for the opportunity for juvenile delinquency. For two days, vandalizing, creeping around neighbors houses was accepted.

Q. What are your plans for this Halloween?
A. Halloween is a big deal; we'll dress her (2-year-old daughter Ariane) up as a fairy princess. When she's old enough to go trick-or-treating you can bet I'll be there, probably in a pirate costume.

Q. What was the last meal you cooked at home?
A. Boeuf bourguignon. I like one-pot cooking; I like to keep it simple at home; at the restaurant I had a cleanup crew.

Q. Did the movie "Julie and Julia" inspire you to cook that French dish?
A. Julia Child was frankly an influence even before I ever thought of being a cook. My mother cooked from "Mastering the Art of French Cooking." Julia set the standard; she changed the world for the better.

Q. On "No Reservations" you also expose your audience to a new world of flavors.
A. I would never, ever dream of comparing me to Julia. On my show, it's me trying to have fun; it's a very personal, first-person essay. I'm not an educator or an advocate; I'm just a guy traveling around the world.

Q. Where do you stand on the organic movement?
A. I'm for organic and sustainable food, but I'm deeply suspicious of people who believe all of us should eat that way.

No Reservations, an Evening with Anthony Bourdain
When: 8 p.m. Friday, Nov. 6
Where: Genesee Theatre, 203 N. Genesee St., Waukegan
Tickets: $39.50, $49.50, $75 (includes post-show meeting). Available at box office, Ticketmaster outlets, (800) 982-2787 or ticketmaster.com.