Friday, November 25, 2011

Woman purchases turkey with 2007 expiration date


A Nashville woman was somewhat shocked to discover that she had purchased a turkey that had expired four years ago.

Libby Spires bought the out-dated turkey from Apple Market.

"I was shocked because it said November 23, 2007," she recalled. "I said, ‘Oh my gosh, I can't eat this turkey!'"


She went on to say, "I don't know why I didn't look [at the date when I bought it]. I was just busy. I didn't look at it then, but it's the first thing I did when I took it out of the freezer today."

Spires returned the old turkey to the store and received a complete refund.

She said after she got her refund she purchase a turkey for Thanksgiving at a different store, and this time she would check the expiration date.

Apple Market's General Manager Ken Osborne did not want to speak on camera, but said he was horrified about what happened.

In a statement, he said, "This is an honest mistake. We donate unused food to needy families and area churches. I don't know how this was mixed up. It never should have happened."

We aren't sure what donating food to needy families or churches has to do with any of this, but we hope he isn't suggesting that they have been donating old birds around town.

Osborne said that not only customers should check expiration dates, but he is going to urge his employees to do so as well.
May we suggest that needy families and churches do the same.

Despite the slip-up at the store, Spires said she will still continue to shop at the location.

Officials do say that frozen turkeys should remain fresh up to three years past their sell by date.