Saturday, November 26, 2011

Invite me to dinner and I'll forgive you, Paul Young tells TV chef


Eighties pop star Paul Young says he will forgive TV chef Gino D'Acampo for burgling his home him 13 years ago - as long as he is invited to dinner.

D'Acampo (photo below) broke into his home, stealing a £4,000 guitar collection and much-prized platinum disc.


D'Acampo, 35, often appears on This Morning and has a daytime ITV show with Melanie Sykes.
But at age 21-year-old (when he was a waiter) he robbed Young's house.

As a result, the chef was convicted in 1998 and served two years in jail.

Paul Young now says, "I don't hold it against him. He said it was bad and he apologized, and I did get most of the stuff back." "Maybe he needed his wrist slapping and he got that. He said he was in a terrible place at that time and wanted to turn his life around."

Since the eighties Young has been creating a second career in cooking, with successful appearances on MasterChef and Hell's Kitchen.



He said he had seen D'Acampo's rise to fame but never thought of going public: "I take it with a pinch of salt really. You've got to have a sense of humour. He wanted to meet to say his apologies. I thought that was nice, then he went into I'm A Celebrity and I thought, 'Ah, now I know why.'

"I decided to do the gentlemanly thing and not say anything. I just said, 'I hope I get an invite to your new restaurant.' I don't know if he's got a restaurant, but if he has and he's not invited me then I'm pissed off. He and I should do something stupid like collaborate on a show or book."

Young is releasing his own cookbook. He said: "Cooking has almost become on a level with music for me. I think there are parallels with food and music."