Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Soda Pop, oops, we mean SODA POT

Clay Butler, (above photo) doesn't do drugs, doesn't smoke and appears to be as pure as the driven snow plans on marketing Canna Cola, a soft drink that contains THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana
His plan is to sell them at medical marijuana dispensaries.

Clay is a commercial artist who says, "I don't do drugs, never have. I never drank, never smoked. I'm a clean-living guy. I've had two beers in my whole life, and I remember them both too. No marijuana, I've never smoked a cigarette. I take an aspirin when I get a headache. That's it."

"Even though, personally, I'm not interested and I don't think it's right for me," says Butler, "I'm a firm believer that adults have an inalienable right to think, eat, smoke, drink, ingest, decorate, dress any way they choose to do so. It's your life; it's your body."

His products will include the cola drink Canna Cola, the Dr Pepper-like Doc Weed, the lemon-lime Sour Diesel, the grape-flavored Grape Ape and the orange-flavored Orange Kush. 

"You look at all the marijuana products out there, and they are so mom-and-pop, hippie-dippy and rinky-dink," he said. "If someone can put every color on the rainbow on it, they do. If they can pick the most inappropriate and unreadable fonts, they will. And there's marijuana leaves on everything. It's a horrible cliché in the industry."

Butler's plan is to market the THC sodas "how Snapple or Coca-Cola or Minute Maid would make a marijuana beverage, if they ever chose to do it."

Thus, he used the marijuana leaf -- it's an unavoidable part of the "brand DNA" of marijuana products, he said -- but he designed a leaf made of bubbles, to suggest soda pop.

The soda's dosage of THC will be "somewhere between 35 to 65 milligrams," with only a
a mild marijuana taste.
The levels of THC in his line of soft drinks will be much lower than many drinks now on the market.

These sodas will sell between $10 and $15 per 12-ounce bottle.
The company plans to launch its product in Colorado in February. 
there are also plans to have it in California dispensaries in the spring.