Friday, April 16, 2010

The Risks With Eating Uneviscerated Fish

The Minnesota Department of Agriculture has a message, it's about about the dangers of eating (uneviscerated fish) dried fish which still has the internal organs inside.
The warning comes after the product was discovered at some ethnic Twin Cities stores.
This kind of fish sold is often salted and sometimes smoked.
The MDA says eating it can cause botulism poisoning and people who have the product in their home should throw it away.
Uneviscerated fish has an embargo place upon it because of Clostridium bacteria contamination.
It's the bacterium can produce the potentially deadly botulinum toxin.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, ingesting the toxin can cause double or blurred vision, drooping eyelids, slurred speech, difficulty swallowing, dry mouth and muscle weakness.
Without treatment symptoms can progress to paralysis, potentially of the respiratory muscles.

Symptoms usually appear between 18 and 36 hours after eating the contaminated food, but it could be as soon at six hours or as late as 10 days.

Investigators would love to know how the uneviscerated fish made it to stores in Minnesota.